Learn from a new industry leader each month!
FRN has always sought to take an active role in providing educational opportunities for the behavioral health community. Through our webinar series attendees earn a free CE credit for watching the live presentation, as well as a chance to participate in an hour-long Q&A session afterward.
October 29, 2019 | 12:00pm CDT
Why Affirmative Treatment is an Imperative Component When Helping Your LGBTQ+ Clients Achieve Long Lasting Sobriety and Emotional Recovery
With Lauren D. Costine, PhD
Living and growing up LGBTQ+ in a world that historically negates, devalues and demonizes same-sex love and gender variance is very traumatizing to the LGBTQ+ person’s sense of self. To recover from the trauma of growing up in a heterosexist world, stay sober, develop quality emotional sobriety and, therefore, get the most out of their life, LGBTQ+ people—and their support systems—need LGBTQ+-Affirmative Psychotherapy to heal.
The LGBTQ+-Affirmative approach enables LGBTQ+ mental health workers and their clients to address their addictions in order to start living a life of solid and empowering sobriety.
Upon completion of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the critical principles of LGBTQ+-Affirmative psychotherapy and how it differs in effectiveness and sustainability from LGBTQ+-Friendly approaches.
- Name the small and big traumas their LGBTQ+ clients experience growing up in an heteronormative, homophobic, lesbianphobic, biphobic, transphobic, intersex and queerphobic world and how it affects their sobriety, recovery and emotional health.
- Describe how traditional addiction-oriented modalities (trauma-informed, motivational learning, CBT, psychodynamic, group therapy, etc) can be effectively integrated into affirmative-oriented addiction treatment so that their LGBTQ+ clients learn a more empowered understanding of their unique issues which can improve their recovery skills, emotional sobriety and sense of self.
Join us for this month's webinar and get a free CEU!
Don't miss out on the next webinar. Join our email list!
Want to present a webinar?
Presenting helps you create awareness about current treatment techniques and new approaches, in addition to teaching others how to apply treatment methods to a specific population.
You’ll also gain exposure to a broader audience through a digital platform and receive recognition as an expert in your field. Your presentation benefits everyone involved.
- The Role of Self in Psychotherapy: The Power of Vulnerability
- Breaking the Cycle: Intergenerational Trauma and Personality
- Why We Do What We Do: The Brain in Addiction Treatment
- Nurse Fatigue: You Don’t Have to Be a Nurse to Experience It
- Compassionate Recovery: A Universal, Inclusive, Trauma-Informed Approach to Healing from Attachments and…