October 29, 2019 | 12:00pm CDT
Why Affirmative Treatment is an Imperative Component When Helping Your LGBTQ+ Clients Achieve Long Lasting Sobriety and Emotional Recovery
With Lauren D. Costine, PhD
Living and growing up LGBTQ+ in a world that historically negates, devalues and demonizes same-sex love and gender variance is very traumatizing to the LGBTQ+ person’s sense of self. To recover from the trauma of growing up in a heterosexist world, stay sober, develop quality emotional sobriety and, therefore, get the most out of their life, LGBTQ+ people—and their support systems—need LGBTQ+-Affirmative Psychotherapy to heal.
The LGBTQ+-Affirmative approach enables LGBTQ+ mental health workers and their clients to address their addictions in order to start living a life of solid and empowering sobriety.
Upon completion of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the critical principles of LGBTQ+-Affirmative psychotherapy and how it differs in effectiveness and sustainability from LGBTQ+-Friendly approaches.
- Name the small and big traumas their LGBTQ+ clients experience growing up in an heteronormative, homophobic, lesbianphobic, biphobic, transphobic, intersex and queerphobic world and how it affects their sobriety, recovery and emotional health.
- Describe how traditional addiction-oriented modalities (trauma-informed, motivational learning, CBT, psychodynamic, group therapy, etc) can be effectively integrated into affirmative-oriented addiction treatment so that their LGBTQ+ clients learn a more empowered understanding of their unique issues which can improve their recovery skills, emotional sobriety and sense of self.
Want to present a webinar?
Presenting helps you create awareness about current treatment techniques and new approaches, in addition to teaching others how to apply treatment methods to a specific population.
You’ll also gain exposure to a broader audience through a digital platform and receive recognition as an expert in your field. Your presentation benefits everyone involved.
- COVID-Related Stress and the Connection to Substance Use and Mental Health Issues
- Healing Bias and Racism in Recovery
- You’re Thinking About Addiction and Choice All Wrong
- From Public Health To Addiction Treatment: Integrative Harm Reduction Psychotherapy (IHRP) for…
- Demographics, Trends, and Assessment of the LGBTQ+ Population